SailNet Community - View Single Post - downwind sail for PSC31
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Re: downwind sail for PSC31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit_Elan View Post
Do you run all lines aft, including the halyard? If so, you must sail with the sail hanging down to the deck. Or do you run forward to rig for the down wind and then pack it away for upwind work?

Thanks!
I run forward to rig it. The halyard is tied off at the mast. Running to the cockpit are the sheets and a continuos line attached to a block at deck level that pulls the sock up and down. Once it is set up, I can raise the sock to set the sail from the cockpit using the continuos line. I can also lower the sock to douse the sail from the cockpit using the same line. It is basically identical to a roller furler set up in terms of how the control lines work. It has two advantages over a roller furler set up in my opinion:

1) It is way cheaper since I came this way when I bought the boat
2) It is easier to set up and take down. Than a roller furler.

#1 is of course my driving motivation for this setup. Note I have never tried to douse the sail in 20 knot winds. If I ever have the misfortune I will report back on how it went. My strategy would probably be to head downwind, raise the main (if needed), and then douse in the shadow of the main.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook