SailNet Community - View Single Post - downwind sail for PSC31
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013

MarcHall is on a distinguished road
Re: downwind sail for PSC31

The asym will probably give you the most use for a downwind sail and should probably be where you should start.

The ATN sock is well designed, works well and makes deployment and take down of the sail much simpler.

On Crazy Fish, the asym is raised from a spinnaker halyard that is not run back to the cockpit. If I am by myself, the boat goes on autopilot and go forward to set up the sail and deploy it and then head back to the cockpit to trim it.

Although all of my sails have been purchased new, I see a lot of asymmetric spinnakers in the inventory of the used sails vendors such as Minneys in Newport Beach, CA. I recently set up the boat to fly a symmetric spinnaker and purchased a used one from Minneys. The sail did not have a great shape although was in excellent condition and I return it to Minneys and swapped it out for another one which works better.

A new trend for asymmetric spinnakers is the use of a top down furler, I believe Karver was the first but the Profurl has come up with an interesting design. More expensive then an ATN sock but could be set up at the dock and when not in use left up in the rolled position ready to be deployed. The Profurl furler components could also used for Code 0 type sail.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish, Crealock 37 Hull 207
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook