SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ready To Go Back In?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Ready To Go Back In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I've thought about hiring a diver but never got around to it because performance was never noticeably bad.

At the end of the season when we haul out I have a thin, smooth layer of green slime just below the waterline, exdending down a about a foot below the waterline (presumably where sunlight is available). It washes off easily with my pressure washer, and in fact one of the nice things about Pettit Vivid is that it holds up very well to the pressure washer.

We've never had any barnacles or grass - just the smooth layer of slime that builds up during the season.

Hoping to get into the bay a couple times this year, for a total of 4-8 days. In addition to that, we do head south to the saltier parts of the river a couple times a year.

We are at mile 88 on the river. Today the salt line (250 mg/l chloride content) is at mile 70 (just north of Delaware Memorial Bridge). I think I have seen it get as high as mile 80 during a dry summer.
Sounds like because of your limited amount of time in a stagnant salt water environment docked , I might just stay put as it sounds successful.

Should you decide to move to the Chessie I would change to Micron Extra or one of the two Ultimas The constant current where you are may be a pain sometimes because of the trash it brings, but it also keeps the slime from forming. And you said no growth. Even at the waterline. You also don't have a prop in the water.

Maybe you could get a group of the sailors at your marina to go into together the same day in early July to get a diver to give you all a quick wipe to knock off the slime. When we do it like that the same day at our club it's $25-$50 a boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook