SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chain Plate Replacement
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 02-26-2013
Stumble

Re: Chain Plate Replacement

Casey,

I work for Allied Titanium, so my advice is going to be prejudiced. But we make very affordable parts. Every now and then I have been underbid, but generally only if someone else is using remnants they just need to use up where we are using virgin metal.

You could look at a local machine shop, and there are a number of places on line that will do custom fabrication as well. But none of those shops deal with the volume of titanium that we do, or carry everything from the plates, to the nuts and bolts (unless they buy the fasteners from either us or Tico titanium).

The one thing I will mention is that depending on the size and cost of your plates it very well may be worth having a NA redesign titanium plates to meet the actual loads your boat experiences. Stainless plates are typically massively overbuilt to give a corrosion allowance, meaning a titanium chainplate can be a fraction the size. This results in lighter, stronger, and in some cases cheaper parts than going stainless.

For example, if you are using 1/2 wire, we could probably get away with a titanium bar 1/4" x 3/4 x leingth. Where a typical stainless plate may be 1/2x 1". I don't recommend this without a NA making the changes though. Which typically costs $100-$200.

Greg Rubin
Attorney
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome