SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
That's really stretching it.

People drowned because the ship sank. The ship sank because the hull leaked. It was a significant cause and/or contributing factor. To say otherwise is to deny reality.

As I suggested four months ago, with the condition that boat was in, a similar result might have happened in an ordinary Noreaster. Sandy was huge, but not particularly violent as hurricanes go.

It will be interesting to see what the USCG says about this in their final report. I think we all can agree that they have not attempted to sweep anything under the rug, as was speculated several months ago.
I don't think the analogy was a stretch at all. The problem was how the boat was used. The fact that it left the dock for any passage should have been questionable, but it didn't leave on its own and the knife didn't stab anyone on its own.

Yes, the fact that it leaked was a contributing factor for sure. Just like the fact that the knife was sharp or maybe left on the counter. Neither would have done any harm if left where they were.

The boat was in disrepair..... This was well known by her decision makers.

The TSC knew the operation was sketchy.... They are not responsible, IMO, any more than anyone is for their neighbor's actions. One open letter in poor taste, doesn't convict the entire TSC.

I'm very interested to hear more about the owner. There could be another culpable party there. Seems we know little about them and what they knew or were doing at this point, which I find odd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook