SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I don't think the analogy was a stretch at all. The problem was how the boat was used. The fact that it left the dock for any passage should have been questionable, but it didn't leave on its own and the knife didn't stab anyone on its own.

Yes, the fact that it leaked was a contributing factor for sure. Just like the fact that the knife was sharp or maybe left on the counter. Neither would have done any harm if left where they were.

The boat was in disrepair..... This was well known by her decision makers.

The TSC knew the operation was sketchy.... They are not responsible, IMO, any more than anyone is for their neighbor's actions. One open letter in poor taste, doesn't convict the entire TSC.

I'm very interested to hear more about the owner. There could be another culpable party there. Seems we know little about them and what they knew or were doing at this point, which I find odd.
I have said for a while the owner is hiding and there may have been major pressure from there. Every one has absolved the crew first mate because they felt "pressure" from the Captain. Most here said Svenson could speak out against the captain for fear of never sailing again. Wonder how that will play if it comes out Walbridge was told that by Hansen if he didn't meet the deadline for funding from the group in St Petersburg. Right Now he as plead the fifth as opposed to saying he was never in contact with Walbridge. Who is the only other person who could accuse the owner of ordering Walbridge to leave? Probably the dead Captain. Would Walbridge receive a pass like Svenson has if tat was ever found out ( probably never will) . It sure would be the only other explanation for why Walbridge left incredulously in face of all weather and maintainence issues.

No one blames the TSC for the sinking. However they may have contributed to the continued facade the ship was safe by their Own promotional literature where they said it was inspected by them and tey had a great safety program.

And again I call into question the Boothbay Shipyard. Conflicting testimony as Casey points out. Conflict testimony on weather Bounty was even able to head to sea at all. Incredible destruction in work done by them only 6 years before which should ever have been that bad. At the same times major lawsuit lost by the Boothbay Shipyard for the tall ship Shenendoah for similar work same time period . Something is wrong here. No records says one, boxes of records was another. Pictures taken to cover one employees ass never shown to his boss, only the CG when Bounty sunk. Employee looked like he didn't want to be blamed should something happen to Bounty when he said he warned they shouldn't leave the dock and his boss and company said she was ok til next years refit and maintainence and took the 3 million dollar refit check. Further investigation a the dock may have turned up issues similar to Shenendoah had it stayed around . Very very suspicious.

Yes it wasn't the knife that killed but maybe a few people had their hand on the knife other than the only one who can't speak....the dead captain. This doesn't exonerate him. He should never have left. However in the knife analogy , there may be coconspirators and enablers.

Stay tuned. Lawsuits will be filed. Can't claim the fifth there. Shipyard records will all come out as it becomes every man for himself, except Robin Walbridge he is dead. Maybe Claudia will file suit against Boothbay and Bounty LLC and Hansen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook