SailNet Community - View Single Post - 77' Catalina 22 Countdown to getting her in the water begins (Lots of Pics)
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013

m2736185 is on a distinguished road
77' Catalina 22 Countdown to getting her in the water begins (Lots of Pics)

So, I have wanted a sailboat for years. I recently decided to finally take a few lessons and a week later I am pulling a boat behind me.

Puchased a 77 Catalina 22 pop top and runnning a Johnson 6 hp. I wanted something I could trailer so I could visit the different lakes and rivers around here and maybe one day do some coastline sailing.

I have a million questions. First of know that I have no sailing experience other than a few lessons and I might know how to put the sails up, but I know nothing about rigging or any of that other fun stuff.

Before I start pouring more money into her I want to do the minimum amount of work to get her into the water.

Below is a picture of the keel and the bottom of the boat. Keep in mind the boat will be on a trailer. Looks like she is still covered in barnicles after some light pressure washing. Bottom paint looks like its also peeling off. Since she will be on a trailer I dont want to waste money on expensive awlgrip. Any ideas on some more affordable paint? The manual also states I could use rustoleum on the keel

Below is a piece of wood that is rotting away. I am guessing thats for the battery? How would I replace that?

Below is one of the cables that hold down the mast. It holds, but it turns... anyway to fix or reinforce those

Below is the mast plate... looks so flimsy, but i guess it does its job?

Below is one of the spreaders...looks like it needs replacing?

More general pics below

Whats that black rectangle box...Is that for the jib?

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook