SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth2 View Post
I'm looking at a propane-fueld Lehr outboard as a backup to the wind. How is propane availability on the islands? I'd have what basically amounts to a standard propane tank as you would use for BBQ's.
I'd suggest bringing all the containers you think you'll require with you from the States... I use those as well for a Forespar Mini-Galley, and the occasional barbecue... I've never actually looked for them over there, but I imagine away from places like Nassau or Marsh Harbor, they would be difficult to find, and very expensive...

Diesel is rarely a problem, and prices can be all over the map, but not necessarily that bad... In a big sportfishing center like Lucaya, I've paid less for diesel than the price was when I reached Beaufort on the way home...

I think gasoline tends to be the more precious commodity, once you get to the Out Islands, the prices can be jaw-dropping... Many folks heading over there with SUV tenders with 15 or 20 HP outboards, they can be in for a shock what their total gasoline bill might run to over the course of a season...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook