SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Have we seen evidence, or even an accusation, that the shipyard didn't do what they were paid to do. Were they paid to change out all the underlying rotten beams or just the outside? Perhaps they should have refused to do the work, if it wasn't going to be done thoroughly, but that is debatable.
It will be comming. In a lawsuit against Boothbay. Its only been 4 onths since the sinking and 1 week since the CG hearing. The lawyers for Walbridge, Christianson and Bounty LLC are sharpening their knives on this particular issue,.

The 40 year employee,Jakomovicz of the Shipyard testified he told Walbridge that she was ok and would be fine until the following years refit. He would be the expert. This contradicted the Shipwrights, Kowokowski alleged warnings to Walbridge as well as the secret photographs he took. Jakomivicz would have known and been a part of the two previous Bounty refits and maintainence as well as the Shenedhoah. Kolowkowski would not have even worked at Boothbay when that happened.

Essentially by him saying the frame/ previous work was rotting and suspect he was bringing attention to the previous work under the Boothbay Shipyard and Jakomovic into question as to why it rotted out in 5 years a lot less time thean it should have lasted. These are quality and build issues sounding eeirily similar to Shenendoah issues.

So you have contractors side your house and put a new roof on it. During the fix the workers discover that a leak occured and some of previous work and discover some of the frame is rotten. Some of this was worked on them 5-6 years previously and should have held up better. They verbally tell you that and tell you its not sound. No record of discussion or anything written. The workers however take pictures. You continue with the work, because their boss, the foreman comes buy and says it can wait another year. it will be fine the workers are overplaying it , but be sure and come back to us to fix it.

2 Weeks later a hurricane come through and the house crumbles. The new material is looking ok, but it looks like some of where it was held by the frame came apart and let the storm winds get inside and blow it apart.

Extent of Bounty's decay questioned | WAVY.com | Portsmouth, Va.

Quote:
PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) - On the third day of the U.S. Coast Guard's hearings into the sinking of the HMS Bounty in October, experts contemplated how seaworthy the Bounty really was.

Todd Kosakowski, the project manager who raised concerns about rotting timbers in the hull of the Bounty told investigators he was worried about the vessel's safety.

"I believe that they could have had an impact on what could have happened with the vessel," Kosakowski said.

Project manager Joe Jakomovicz, who has 40 years of experience, said Kosakowski's analysis is incorrect because Kosawkowski has "five or six years of experience."

Kosakowski worked with the Bounty when it visited Boothbay Harbor Shipyard in 2006 for repairs. He said the decay in the hull of the Bounty was not the worst he has ever seen.

His younger colleague believes the structural integrity of the hull was in question and has second thoughts about the decision of the Bounty's owners to set sail without a certificate of inspection.

"With 20/20 hindsight, it would have been a call to the local Coast Guard," Kosakowski said.
I know I keep including this, but feel I have to so it stays in perspective and no ones thinks I am defending him.. None of this has anything to do with exonerating or dismissing Captain albridges responsibilies for leaving in the face of a hurricane.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 02-26-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook