SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising with a Hard Dingy on Davits
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2006

LWinters is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LWinters
Hey Captain,

Thanks for the view from the other side. I didn't expect to hear many pros for the offshore davit set up. I am with you all the way on the benefits of the ketch rig with the exception of the "davit stays". Interesting twist on your standing rigging set up. My davits were home built and probably over engineered to the point you could lift the whole boat by the davits themselves. I am sure that the rig could handle the dingy weight, even swamped, but more concerned about the sudden force of a breaking wave. Why have small cockpits for ocean sailing only to hang a big dingy on the back? I suppose I could limit the strength of the hoisting tackle so that it would break in such circumstances? But then again, if I am in the middle of a breaking sea a davit that has just parted its tackle is the last thing I would want to deal with. I just hate to sell such a good dink. I am still a little split on this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook