SailNet Community - View Single Post - Halyards to cockpit?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Halyards to cockpit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
My experience has been quite the opposite... I know such a system can be made to work reasonably well - and someday I hope to sail with Jeff H on his boat, as I know he's put such a setup to very good effect... but pretty much every time I get on a delivery of a larger boat with the main halyard led aft, I know I'm in for multiple trips to and from the mast to deal with the snags caberg alludes to, if I'm singlehanding...

The worst case senario, is when a high-modulus rope like T-900 is used for the main halyard, in conjunction with an electric winch and rope clutches for all the crap that's led aft... Such rope will quickly acquire a set that is virtually impossible to pull back through a clutch from forward without hockling and kinking... On more than one boat, I've found the easiest thing to do when lowering the main singlehanded, was to simply toss the whole mess of halyard tail over the stern, let it trail out and unwind that way...

As I said, I'm sure it can be done - but in my observation/experience, it sure isn't being done well very frequently...

In addition, on boats with dodgers overhead canvas, I hate having to hoist the main without being able to easily watch it all the way up, that can be a real invitation to trouble... People putting the halyard on a self-tailing electric winch, and pressing the button without having a clear view of the mast, that can be a recipe for disaster...

Finally, I really don't like the idea of compromising the watertight integrity of a dodger or doghouse, but cutting holes in the leading edge for the passage of lines aft... In heavy weather, it can be shocking how much water can be admitted into what otherwise might stay a relatively dry area...

So, have I mentioned I really don't like lines led aft to the cockpit on most boats? (grin)
Captain Jon, you are a purist. In other post, others mentioned you as like person they want to meet. I am afraid to meet you becasue you will kick my ass flying across Pacific ocean.

OK, I be advised that I will stick my head out the dodge when I use the electric main halyard. Better yet, I will manually crank the remaining few inches by hand. Been there done that, have a story to tell too.

Good call though

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook