SailNet Community - View Single Post - 77' Catalina 22 Countdown to getting her in the water begins (Lots of Pics)
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: 77' Catalina 22 Countdown to getting her in the water begins (Lots of Pics)

M273,
Your photos bring back memories. I had a 1972 C22 for years. Loved it. If I may be so bold, what are your boat maintaining skills and how much do you want to spend? Is your plan to do weekend sails and return the boat to its trailer and home between sails? How you answer the questions will determine your course of action.

The keel and cable is a biggie in my book. If at all possible, drop it, blast, fair and paint it. I’d replace the cable – not that expensive and easy with the keel exposed. You need to determine if the hinge is loose and needs replacing and you may need to work on the locking pin. Catalina sells upgrade kits to minimize the keel rattling in its trunk

The deck eye-bolts for the lower shrouds are a problem and need immediate fixing. THEY SHOULD NOT ROTATE. Most likely you have water intrusion that rotted out the plywood core. Fix it now. Again, Catalina sells an eye bolt upgrade kit and I recommend it. You will also want to put a bigger backing plate than the 1.5 inch washers that are there now. Spray the keel with rust inhibiting primer and Rustolium if you must, but fix the eye bolts.

The spreader boots are mostly cosmetic unless there are exposed wire strands. You can finish them off with rigging tape instead. The plywood under the companionway step is the old base to the battery holder. There used to be some wooden strips that kept the battery in place (the holder strap was screwed into them. They rotted out due to spilt battery acid. Yu want to replace it with a plastic battery box when you decide to work on the electrical.

Another good resource is the trailer sailor website. There is a guy who contributes regularly there who does a lot of work on his racing C22. Sign up for membership in the C22 owners association. Over 22,000 of these boats were made over the years and they have a very knowledgeable ownership base.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook