SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
So, it seams to me that the boat leaked a bit....probably... Jackomovicz is not sure and you say the boat leaked 21 gallons per minute? Where do you have got that information?

Regards

Paulo
From as far back as I can go the Bounty had a huge problem with hull leakage. The 30,000 gallon per day (21 gpm) is a figure I saw in an article that was refering to the ship maybe 4 years back.

When ship recently taken in for dry dock, she was leaking at 114000 l per hour which is about the 21 gpm. Back some years ago the CG put pumps on Bounty off Florida to dewater after the Bounty's pumps had failed. Even the lost crew memeber Claudine noted the crew were always fiddling with the generators (to keep the electric pumps running). Seems trying to win a war against 30,000 gph was a constant battle on Bounty, one in which sooner or later you are bound to loose.

I have not seen figures as to the leakage rate when she pulled out of the shipyard on the way to meeting Sandy, but as others have posted, she would normally leak at a high rate (even if the plank and caulking were good) due to the fact the wood had not had a chance to swell.

Jackomovicz testified at the hearing that Capt. Robin Walbridge had told him the Bounty was taking on 114,000 litres of water an hour.
“I thought he must be nuts or something,” but Jackomovicz said it proved to be the case.
When the shipyard hauled the Bounty out of the harbour, “the amount of water coming out of the boat was unbelievable. The bottom was totally wormy” from spending a couple of winters in Florida.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook