SailNet Community - View Single Post - Circumnavigation without instruments
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013

KIVALO is on a distinguished road
Re: Circumnavigation without instruments

This is a good post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
No way. We neeed more expeditions like this. I remember that voyage from when I was a kid. it inspired me to learn how to navigate with out tech. instruments. We had an electrical fire on board crossing to the Bahamas and lost all electronics. I was impressed on how my grandfather could DR us the rest of the trip. We bought a hand held vhf off some one in freeport, and spent the rest of the spring and into summer with nothing but a compass and a cabin light. I think it's great you newbies have these gizmos to get you out there sailing the world on your own with out the years of seamanship training it used to take. But I feel it's stupid dangerous and irresponsible to go out there completely dependent on gadgets and satalites and electirical crap with out a strong foundation in old school navigation and seamanship. My 72 year old father in law can't tie a single knot because he's alway's had some kind of strap with a clip on it. To me those plasitc electrical device things are just neat devices to have, not something to depend on.
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook