SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI Sail Destination Times?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: BVI Sail Destination Times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robes View Post
I understand that at this time of year the trades maybe from the NNE to East, is that safe to say?
You bet, but we did get a day of Southeast when we were there a few weeks back.

Quote:
I'm wondering what some sail destination times could be from various points. For example, time from Road Town to Norman Is?
Norman to Gorda Sound(N or S side of the channel islands)?
Gorda Sound to Norman?
Gorda Sound to Anegada?
Anegada to JVD?

What about Gorda Sound to Anegada via looping the Horse Shoe Reef, navigating the Atlantic side of Anagada to the West End & Setting Point, time? I'm thinking that may be a nice sail and trolling expedition?
You really can't just measure distance and divide by boat speed, because whether you need to tack or jibe is going to impact these passages. Generally, winds are coming right down Sir Francis Drake passage. That means that heading from Road Town to Norman is usually a nice beam reach and probably 60 to 90 mins. However, heading out to Gorda is almost always a beat into wind and waves. Double the time for tacking and crashing into oncoming, if they are of any significance.

Anegada can be a real open water passage, unprotected from ocean swell and Anegada back to Tortola or JVD as well. We were in those waters with 8 foot seas on this trip and I could not imagine fishing at the time.

The islands are so laid back, its nice to not have to worry so much about how long things will take. Just go for it, have a spot or two you might bail out at, if its taking too long and just enjoy yourself!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook