SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
We only know it was somthing less than 114,000 lph. The ship should have pumping logs that would indicate what the leakage was over her history- those would be interesting.

"Jackomovicz said he spoke with Walbridge about two days before the Bounty left the shipyard last October and asked him how he thought the vessel was doing.
He said great, it’s tight, the vessel’s tight,” Jackomovicz said, but he took that with “a grain of salt.”
“In my mind it was probably still leaking, but in (Walbridge’s) experience with how the vessel was leaking in the past, a little bit of leaking in the boat was nothing to him
.”Jackomovicz said when he looked at photographs of the sinking Bounty, he was shocked it was still in one piece, which speaks to its structural integrity.
I agree that it should have pumping logs.. and probably doesn't ..but that still tells us nothing. Very few caulked timber vessels of any size, large or small, do not experience "a little bit of leaking" at various times before and after leaving port.

I'd suggest it might be more productive to focus on the faulty (or otherwise) workmanship - like exactly who did the caulking, how and what with - and/or bilge pumps rather than the end result.

Last edited by Classic30; 02-26-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook