View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road
Re: Chain Plate Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Check out this site:

Free Account - Allied Titanium

I would just stick with my stainless chain plate dimension then I would get extra factor of safety with titanium.
regards
This could be done but the cost would be about 2.5 times the same chainplate in 316 ss and not really any stronger depending the type of titanium you use. Grade 3 is about the same strength or maybe a bit less. grade 5 is a lot stronger but about 6 times the price of 316 ss. yes it will weigh less and it will not corrode but the 316 ss will last another 25 years and most will not keep their all ready 25 year old boat that long. the advantage of using the higher strength Ti alloys is you can engineer it to be the required strength with less material. therefore saving both weight and cost. the problem with that is the total cost will not be less due to the extra cost of re-engineering.
the chainplates are sized based on the hole size and width that is needed for the clevis. and if you choose a smaller size it may not support the clevis pin and it will wear excessively (point loading)
are you ready to tell your insurance company that you guess the engineer must have gotten it wrong and you think they should pay for a new mast.

Last edited by overbored; 02-26-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook