SailNet Community - View Single Post - To Serpentine or not to Serpentine (BETA)
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road
To Serpentine or not to Serpentine (BETA)

I am in the process of repowering my new to me 1980 Clearwater Offshore Kat Ketch 33. Current power plant is a taken part, worked on by several people and never ran again Universal 5416.

I looked at the offereing from Yanmar but really liked the way everything that I needed to touch on a frequent basis was located on the front of the Beta and the east coast distributor is two hours up the road. Price wise they are pretty much the same within a couple boat dimes. Engine acces from the either side is limited on my boat.

So now I am puzzling through the options, do I need a 70 amp alternator or is the 40 sufficient? How about the serpentine belt? It's a $246.00 option that is required for the 70 amp alternator but simply an option for the stock 40 amp.

I think the serpentine belt will have less potential slippage since it should use an idler pulley and may result in a better bearing life for the alternator and water pumps.

Electrrical loads are pressurized water, refrigeration, lighting and basic instruments. I have two banks of house batteries and a battery reserved for starting the engine. I may add a/c down the road but that would be for use at the dock only so it shouldn't figure into the dc loads.

I like the b panel upgrade (temp and RPM) at $180 but don't think I need to go with a c panel (temp, volts and rpm) becasue I can monitor voltage on the power panel in the cabin.

Open to hear anyones thoughts and ideas on these options.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook