SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

this past summer I was working on my boat in the slip. On the dock behind me is a Sea Scout group preparing to shove off. The leader has everyone huddled up and is explaining the itinerary for their sail. They all take their assigned positions on the boat and the skipper puts the little outboard in reverse and cranks it wide open. They are backing out of their slip with good speed, coming directly toward my stern. That's when the little outboard jumps off the transom and dances around like one of those hand-held electric blenders while still attached to the boat by the fuel line. I didn't realize an outboard would actually run under water for a few seconds, but it did. The boat still has backward momentum and the skipper is in dis-belief about what has happened. Fortunately a couple of the kids thought quick, got a pole and held off against the boat next to me. It was great entertainment watching them figure out how to get the motor back on the boat and then get the boat itself back in the slip. Once everything was secure they had the motor on the dock looking at it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook