SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013
It's the Water and More

Me and Boo is on a distinguished road
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

I like this revived thread.
Last autumn I let one of the marina inhabitants crew Sisu. This was the dumbest thing I have done (so far).

He told me all about his sailing experience, which sounded extensive. I did not listen close enough. The first bit of concern was my hat blowing off and me yelling "hat overboard, turn her around". Which must have sounded like "see the hat". After retrieving my hat, I told him to head her in to the wind so I could unfurl the main, I have a furler for the main and jib. That must have sounded like "turn left", his port and starboard conceptions were not what most of us understand, which meant yelling a lot of lefts and rights. Grabbing the wheel and pointing, along with a loud "that way" got us into the wind.

With the genoa and main in position we were doing well, and actually heading in the direction I wanted us to go. I started trimming the genoa which increased our speed. We also heeled nicely, making sitting on the gunwale comfortable. That freaked him out, so I slowed us down. A friend was gaining on us and hailed us. I waved, crew let go of the wheel and joined me at which point Sisu did what she does well, hard into the wind. I got the wheel before anything serious happened.

The rest of the voyage was just as much fun. It ended with him standing on my cat, twice, and then standing in front of me, blocking my vision, as I was winding in a narrow channel. Fortunately boaters are a friendly group and someone with a very nice powerboat towed us off the sandbar. The finale was falling through the dodger window.

He is not allowed on board anymore.