SailNet Community - View Single Post - Maintain character of teak decks with nonskid
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Maintain character of teak decks with nonskid

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8kraft View Post
I intend to remove the old teak decking, fill the screw holes and fair smooth, then apply some new nonskid.......
I didn't see your OP two months back. I hope you didn't do this, unless the wood itself is beyond hope or you know the leaks are causing a real deck penetration problem. Even if they are penetrating, you may be as well served to just get it to stop as replacing the decking, unless you are going to repair the soft deck too.

Removing and fairing the entire deck would be an enormous job, let alone getting something new down that will look professional. Wow. Just thinking about it feels like an entire season of work.

I would sooner dig out all the caulking (they may a tool for it) and pull any exposed screws. Bed the grooves with tape and recaulk all the joints and screw holes. Glue in new bungs. I will bet this is less work than you are contemplating, but still a lot. This doesn't need to be done with perfection, as you would then power sand the entire deck, which both levels the caulking and cleans up the wood.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook