SailNet Community - View Single Post - Make do with wrong boat
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Make do with wrong boat

If a retirement couple wanted to cruise the east coast and the islands and Bahama's for maybe three years in early retirement picking the right boat is a tricky balancing act.
If you have a lot of time, maybe a couple years, you could buy an older boat cheap and refit it and have a great boat.
If you have a lot of money you could buy a late model HR, or other modern semi-production boat go sailing but you need a lot of money just to start.

I have been following these threads for years and know their are always exceptions, super deals that some people find at just the right time.
But bar the anomalous deal I'm figuring the following prices for the following spec's. About 40', mono-hull, Two separate sleeping cabins with doors, Radar, auto-pilot, Air-conditioning, shallow draft approx 5 to 6 feet.

Golden Oldey with good bones will cost about $100,000 with a couple years work and maybe 50 to 100k refit costs.
Five year old high-quality late model cruising boat I figure maybe 300k to 400k. I don't shop these often so I'm just guessing hear.

So here is my bright idea. How about a 5 year old Catalina 40 for about 200,000?
Easy to buy, hopefully easy to sell. Minimum work as it is new enough. The downsides is that it is coastal cruiser and is not really setup for the ocean passages that will be part of the the above three year plan.
For one thing it does not have much tank-age or storage.
So the question is:
Have you seen people doing this successfully, if so how?
What can be or should be done to fit out the boat so it will serve double duty better.
Maybe extra handhold's below, lee cloths, anchors etc.

The way I understand it is that any modern production boat of 40' or larger is built strong enough for light blue water. The main distinction between them is tank-age, storage, and other passage making necessities like a quarter berth etc.

So I'm wondering if a person could successfully make do with less than pure blue water boat and if so what they could do do in the fit out to make up some of the difference.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook