SailNet Community - View Single Post - Propane or alcohol
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013
Learning a bit every day

FinallySailing is on a distinguished road
Re: Propane or alcohol

Hi Joellen,
Absolutely for the alcohol stove. I got rid of the propane stove in "Rockhopper" and installed an Origo 3000 last year. This is a non pressurized stove. Absolutely love it. I buy alcohol in bulk from the diy store (b+q, that's Kingfisher or HomeDepot in your part of the world if I remember right) - not the blue meths you get in the paint department but clear alcohol that is specially made for ethanol burners indoors. No smell, no residue. Very safe. Cheap to run. Don't need a gas locker, no pipes/gas hoses that can fail, no risk of propane accumulating in the cabin sole and sudden explosions. Also, as far as I understand, it's much easier to get an inland waterways certificate here without a propane installation. So I have the option of travelling along our ancient canals one day ... The stove itself is solid quality, little that can go wrong with it. There are a couple of rubber gaskets that you put onto each burner when not in use to reduce evaporation of alcohol. Don't think they'll last too long as I keep on putting them onto the hot burner. You can buy them from Dometic/Origo - I will cut them out of a silicone sheet, instead when the need arises. Only low point I've got to mention is the price for gimbals or pot clamps. £30 for one set of clamps (you need two) and £60 for the gimbals is quite dear. I've adapted gimbals that I found on fleebay for £10 . Still have to fork out for the clamps, though .

Fair winds ,

Immo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook