SailNet Community - View Single Post - To Serpentine or not to Serpentine (BETA)
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: To Serpentine or not to Serpentine (BETA)

I agree with your choice of the Beta Marine engine.

Note that many (most? /all?) Beta Marine Engines are "marin-ized" Kubota Diesels.

You may not know that the Universal 5416 shares some history with the Beta engine;
Quote:
In 1976 the first Universal diesel was introduced. Designated the Model 5416, it was a 45 cu in, 16 hp, 2 cylinder, fresh-water-cooled engine producing 16 hp @ ? rpm (intermittent), based on the Kubota Z-751 block and fitted with a Hurth HBW-50 marine transmission. It was built from 1976 to 1982. Approximately 1,000 were sold.
- From History of the Universal Motor Company

I will also chime in that the higher amperage alternator, and the serpentine belt, are no-brain decisions if you plan to cruise.

[EDIT]: I would look through their options to find if an Oil Pressure gauge can be added to either panel. If not, I would get the panel with the volt meter, and swap it for an oil pressure gauge. IMHO, understanding what the oil pressure reading is at any moment, and correlating this to RPM and temp, is more important than knowing the voltage of your electrical system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 02-27-2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: added opinion on Oil Pressure
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook