SailNet Community - View Single Post - US Sailing vs. ASA courses, vs. just get out there
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013

joebeach is on a distinguished road
US Sailing vs. ASA courses, vs. just get out there

Getting back into sailing in FL (decades after sailing dinghies as a kid in NJ).

Question - it looks as if both US Sailing and the American Sailing Association (ASA) offer sailing instruction on everything from basic keelboat to coastal cruising to navigation to anchoring/docking to offshore. Which is the better program, or has the better respected credential?

I'd be taking courses over a season or 2, in or near St. Pete - if I do.

The local sailing center here offers a basic weekend keelboat course (safety and rigging, sail trim, tack, jibe, and docking) that I took last weekend, and a local yacht club has something similar over 5 weeks (evening class, weekend afternoon sail) that I am taking starting tonight - with the hope to get on OPBs too.

I'm thinking that these local basic courses, plus some local cruiser and racer crewing, should be enough to prepare me comfortably for local day-sailing.

Eventually I want to be cruising the FL and US East Coast, Bahamas, etc., probably in a smaller cruiser (<30'). For these kinds of coastal cruising and limited offshore sailing (assuming I don't find enough crewing opportunities with seasoned sailors), which is the better call - US Sailing or ASA?