SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lake Ontario Sailor
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013

hamburking is on a distinguished road
Re: Lake Ontario Sailor

Hi,

Thanks for all the welcoming words! In the middle of winter, its nice to talk about sailing and sailboats.

I liked the C&C25 best. Solid boat, good layout, easy to sail. I bought this when my kids were little, and IMHO its a great boat to sail with kids. There is no line I can't just pull. If we run aground, I can just push. The outboard makes the boat safer for little hands (no engine or fuel below). I really like the C&C25. Fast, shallow draft, low maintenance, reasonably priced. For a solo sailor, or young couple, you can't go wrong.

The paceship 29 was ok. The atomic 4 would somtimes sputter and die for no reason, giving me heart palputations...but ended up being rather reliable overall. My main complaint with the paceship is that the quarter berth was too small to sleep in. I've got kids who want their own bunks...so this boat had to go. However, the shallow draft is greatly missed (I had the swing keel version). Also, the "finish" below was rather cheaply done. I pulled out the shag carpet and painted the wood floor with a quality deck paint...that helped...but too much fake wood for my tastes. Of course the new owners installed shag carpet, asap...LOL.

In late 2010, I crossed the atlantic on a 1972 swan 48 (spain to antigua). A sweet ride, but very tender. A bad crossing I'd love to tell you about some time if anyone is interested.

Last edited by hamburking; 02-27-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook