SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sailing On A Shoestring?

7K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  jameswilson29 
#1 ·
Hello all,

My question for you all is, how can I get time sailing, without dropping 4 or $500 on a charter every now and then? I’m fairly new, and only have an ASA 101 course, and a couple of sails since then under my belt, and want to get more time on the water before moving on to the next courses. There are a few sailing clubs in the Kemah/Clear Lake area, but I’m not entirely sure how they all ‘work’, and I’ve seen some people recommend offering to be rail meat for racers that aren’t too picky. I’m not sure how to accomplish either one of those. Many thanks for any advice.

-Jonathan.

#2 ·
Offering to be 'rail meat' is a place to start, but indicate that you're eager and anxious to learn and you shouldn't be on the rail too long.

Most clubs and casual racing fleets are welcoming to enthusiastic newcomers. Key here is to be reliable.. ie show up when you say you will, and don't bail because it's raining, or too cold, etc. Reliable crew is a tough find so if you make yourself one you'll be routinely invited back, likely with increasing responsibility as you learn.

You really can 'learn for free'.. if you get lucky you'll experience a variety of boat styles and sizes so that when the inevitable time comes when you want to queer the good (free) deal you've got going and want to buy your own boat you'll have a better idea of what you want!

Just find out when race day is and hang out and ask if anyone needs crew... easy....

Reactions: jameswilson29
#13 ·
+1

I was surprised how I could go down to the marina in Honolulu and get free sails! And if you're only going for a couple hours a race is the best kind! And then it's like a free party afterwards with new friends. It's seriously the best thing you can do for free in this world. Besides surfing. They are both good. You can jumpoff the boat after the race as it pulls into the harbor and surf the breakwater. But don't do it too many times because you're really supposed to help put the boat away.

#3 ·
Another option is to buy a used boat and get out on the water. If you're interested in learning to sail, and don't care about the boat as much as truly learning the art of sailing, boats can be found for cheap. I bought my first boat, a Catalina 25, for $1000. I picked up an Albacore 14 on a trailer for the cost of two dinners out. Sure, the boats needed elbow grease, but all boats do, or soon will. There also may be less expensive venues from which to rent. Our local lake charged something like $20-30 per hour to rent a 14' sailboat. Small, planing boats are great fun, go relatively fast, and really make you pay attention to what you're doing, what's going on around you, etc. They (generally) don't have cabins, don't have heads, don't have high-tech doohickies, etc., but that's not needed to learn how to sail.

#5 ·
Everybody sails on a shoestring. Some are just shorter than others. Racing weekly will give you plenty of experience with different situations & crew. A willingness to participate in seasonal and weekly boat preparation will take you a long way in learning boat ownership skills too. Look at these as the building blocks you will need to build your future sailing and boat owning plans.

I have many years of boat manufacturing & service experience, and a lifelong love of sailing that started in summer camp. We race crew with an owner that was on the 1952 German Olympic Sailing Team, and it's amazing to see the 17 year old alive in a man that is now in his late 70's. He's competitive and knows more about making a boat go than some of the club members that think they know it all. Maintenance is now beyond him, but my wife and I have stepped in to fill the void.

Find your way to a like-minded owner and you will be on the right tack. Sail on!

#6 ·
Maybe there is an experienced sailor in the area that is w/o a boat, that would be willing to go into one with you 60:40 in exchange for some lessons, and labor on the boat.

OTOH, just get an old sunfish for $400, and sail the crap out of it.

#9 ·
I've been sailing a classic gaff ketch for years, doing all my own maintenance.That becomes a tad tedious and I would welcome an offer of help in return for sailing.I leave the dock daily at 1pm so it's not hard to figure the deal. The offer is even on my web page. So far no response. Maybe newbies dream of a plastic Benni while they send out endless resumes.

#10 ·
I learned to sail in on a GBCA boat, a Tartan 10 named Gotcha. The Friday night races were great. I also crewed in the Houston Regatta on a J24.

#11 ·
I saw the topic, and laughed... the thought was "aren't we ALL on a shoestring?"
Also some of the sail instruction classes offer discount day sailors for rent cheap once you've passed ASA 101 and 103. Especially in the larger sailing areas.

Also, for the record my first 22 foot keelboat cost me $4500, and $1000 a year for a seasonal slip.

I bought a trailerable 14 footer, for $1700, and trailered it for years with free launches. That boat was harder to sail by all measures than my 25 footer is now. Of course launching it was easier, and could be done with a small car.

#14 ·
There is a saying that 1 year of racing is equal to 10 years of cruising. That is definitely true as far as sail trim and boat handling, provided you pay attention to what is going on and your skipper is knowledgeable.

I agree with the advice to volunteer as racing crew. There are also online resources, such as SpinSheet with racing crew wanted ads, a crew wanted subforum here, and a racing crew wanted subforum over on Sailing Anarchy.

Keep reading books about sailing and racing and the history of sailboat racing. Take the free BoatUS courses. Take the USCGA courses. Take the Power Squadron courses. There is a lot of useful information you can learn about navigation, piloting and related subjects available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.