SailNet Community - View Single Post - US Sailing vs. ASA courses, vs. just get out there
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013

dbmathison is on a distinguished road
Re: US Sailing vs. ASA courses, vs. just get out there

I'm interested in this thread too. I'm actually a power boater (32-42ft). But was introduced to bareboat vacation sailing in the BVI's. Twice on 47ft Oceanis monohulls and three times on 44 cats. I played very active crew for these trips and thoroughly enjoyed. Unfortunately, we have lost touch with the individual that we used for captining these trips.

I know enough to be dangerous :-) I can easily motor these boats about. Throw up the genoa. Dock at the pier, pick up a mooring ball, etc. I'm looking to certifications in hopes of furthing my knowledge, add to my resume and hopefully open doors to go bareboating again.

That said, I've already covered the just getting out there. But for certifications is either one of these programs better geared to bareboating or more recognized by these charter companies?