SailNet Community - View Single Post - rope & wire halyards vs all rope halyards
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Re: rope & wire halyards vs all rope halyards

BS - your chafe issue needs to be fixed. You chose to ignore this problem and bandaide it with wire rope. If it works for you, great. But you still have a chafe problem at the masthead. If you believe it was from the rope stretching, then upgrade to low stretch line. That's exactly what we're talking about here.

chucklesR - I think most people have this problem. However, that is the core of the line that's not meant to be cleated, whiched, or put in a clutch. Would you strip sta-set x and complain about the parallel core construction?

Everyone, the core of these hightech lines are not meant to be cleated. Not in a cam cleat, clam, clutch, winched or even put on a horn cleat. The line is slippery and doesn't hold knots well or at all. They are meant to be used with a cover where they are cleated or winched.

Edit: the 8:1 is important if you're pushing the breaking strength of the line. A good splice will weaken the line less than 10%. Safety factor should be around 2:1 or more. A tight radius, like a luggage tag through the shackle might weaken the line by 50%, but who cares? Not too many boats getting close to the breaking strength of these lines. A luggage tag is no weaker than a normal splice and the radii are much tighter than the recommend 8:1.

Last edited by zz4gta; 02-28-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook