SailNet Community - View Single Post - New to Sailing - HELP
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Re: New to Sailing - HELP

Z,

Pearson 23, really can't go wrong with a Pearson. Check the deck for spongy, the standing rigging for corrosion and wear, start the motor, then cut the check. Some would insist on a survey . . . not at this price.

If you haven't sailed before, take ASA 101 if you can afford the money or the time. If not, read like crazy. Sailing for Dummies (I own a copy), Sail Trim, The Complete Trailer Sailor. Watch videos, Sailing With Confidence is good. Sailing isn't rocket science, it's the application of sound judgement and common sense. If you can fix things, you probably can sail well, or well enough to get by. One absolute must, sign up and take a Sailing and Seamanship course from you local Power Squadron. Or get whatever certification you state might encourage or insist on. Something as simple as who is the privileged vessel (there is no right of way on the water) can keep you out or lots of trouble, or at least some non-verbal communication over the waves. I'd also recommend getting a trailer for it. Hauler her home makes maintenance easier, cheaper and more timely. Also, if you trailer, you load the boat and splash: no hauling stuff down the pier or rowing out. But . . . you do have to haul, step and launch.

My story in a nut shell. 16 yr old son and I decided to sail. It took me a month to grow a spine and tell my lovely bride. She thought is was a great idea. (really!??!?!? pinch me!!!!) After a month of looking, bought a Lancer 25 . . . . no trailer . . . . not truck to tow with . . . . no clue how to sail. Three weeks later, brought her home on a modified dual axle trailer with a borrowed truck. After a winter of studying, videos and 15 weeks of Sailing and Seamanship at a local college (and the certification that goes along), we motored passed the jetty and I hanked on a jib for the first time. 1500 nm and many comical mishaps later, we're still at it. If you can look at my old posts, look for my first captains log, or maybe the York Beach swim in. How about the time we set in the mud while all the other boats has swung with the tide.

These are MY stories!!!!! Go make your own!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook