SailNet Community - View Single Post - Make do with wrong boat
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013

Andrew Burton is on a distinguished road
Re: Make do with wrong boat

I found a 1981 C&C 40. This is a boat that suits my style of sailing (see Cruising Criteria: How to Pick the Best Cruiser | Sail Magazine for my take on the selection process), which is biased toward performance as I expect I will be moving around a lot the first few years as I explore my neighborhood. I know she is capable offshore as I've sailed one back and forth to the islands and my old boss got caught out between Newport and Bermuda in a good storm that had him feeling "becalmed at 30". He later sailed to the Med and back. Not that she is by any means the ideal offshore boat for everyone, of course.

I got a good survey which found the hull to be dry and sound and the deck to have seven small areas of moisture, which will get fixed next year. I need to give the rig a good going-over, but everything seems sound there. I want to install a windlass and refrigeration. But overall, this ex raceboat has NOT been rode hard and put away wet; the woodwork below is nicer than when it came from the factory and the upholstery and stove are new. As is the canvas on deck. I'll go through the engine compartment and replace the hoses, impeller, zincs, and filters so I have a baseline from which to start maintenance logs. There will be lots of days when the weather isn't great fro pleasure sailing so I can still enjoy the boat by puttering around messing with stuff and getting to know her better.

Below she is very comfortable for the two of us and she has a nice big nav table so I can work while we're anchored somewhere.

The bottom line is that I'm already having fun with her and I won't even get to sail her for the first time for another 55 days and a little under 17 hours. I may never take her offshore...but I could. That's a nice feeling.

I paid less than $50K for her.