SailNet Community - View Single Post - Make do with wrong boat
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013

waterwks4me is on a distinguished road
Re: Make do with wrong boat

I am in the process of doing exactly what you are talking about. In my younger days I cruised the Bahama's for six summers in my Ranger 29. Primative at best but enjoyed it tremendously. Being a teacher I had the whole summers off. Due to moving I became a lake sailor for awhile and then we purchased a 1977 Pearson 323 and kept it on the Neuse River in NC. When my retirement was getting close we wanted to cruise again as well as move up to a larger boat. We looked at many boats but chose a beautiful Catalina 380 to do our cruising in. It is only ten years old in great shape and since she has taken the trip to the Bahama's quite a few times she is set up for cruising with wind generator, water maker, small genset, etc. I could not be happier with her. Yes I went through the same thought processes that you are going through now: should I go with an older boat with a great pedigree that will need to be brought up to par as to what I want to make it a comfortable and reliable boat or go with something newer, and comfortable coastal cruiser. I chose the later and couldn't be happier. Do what your gut tells you to do. Also if and when the time comes we can no longer cruise selling a newer boat that will qualify for financing for a new owner will attract a larger group of buyers.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook