SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013

Captain Cross is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Hey, I'm young! in my twenties- Just took up sailing last year (cruising, not racing.) Unfortunatly I had every conceivable issue getting her in water :X.
I think the real reason there arn't more of "us yungins" out sailing is price- Boating is costly- I'm doing all I can to manage the boat and my student loans.
Consider:
a smaller new motor boat can start at 8000 list. Comparable sailboats (in terms of LOA) from three years ago list 6000-7000 used.

Another point may be that motor boating, and this is totally my opinion I have no data to back this so don't keel haul me. But, motor boating is probably a much more attractive venue to people our age, largely because there is'nt a real skill set involved with it. You don't need to know how to tie a bunch of knots and what line dose what, how to run the lines or what to do if a line breaks. Motor boating I feel has fewer facets, ya got your lights and an engine. take it out when you and you'r buddys wanna get wet. Then, take it home when yur done.

I bought a 33' (which is quickly becoming the love of my life.) I spent a good chunk of change just to buy her and now I'm fixing her. I can see how buying something as expensive as a sailboat only to have to work on her could be a turn off.

In terms of where the industry is heading? I have never really thought about it. The market will survive thats for sure it will just change. Industrys always do this. I dont think the lack of young people involved will starve the industry. Our peers are young today but that only lasts a while, as they age thier intrests may change, give em a few years to see the light :-)