SailNet Community - View Single Post - Contest/Game - Identify this picture
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road
Re: Contest/Game - Identify this picture

Faster's got it!. The photo he posted shows the same structures and seawall as mine. His vantage point was maybe a hundred yards west of mine or you might have seen the arched overpass to the fortified seawall. Just out of the field of view of his photo would be the conical outline of the Santuario della Madonna delle Lacrime, an impressive--if jarring--structure that is 260' in diameter at its base and somewhere near 300' tall.

This strategic port goes back to Athenian origin--rivaling the stature of Athens itself, to be subsequently conquered by Rome, Vandals, Byzantine Greeks, Arabs, and Normans. There are many remaining structures in various states to attest to this diverse background, such that it is one of the most important archeological sites in the Med. You have everything from necropoli, an amphitheatre, an ancient version of the "whispering gallery" (the Ear of Dionysius) to various and sundry temples. The cathedral of Siracusa is actually--and obviously--a reclaimed Greek temple.

I got to see it by land and sea over 30 years ago.

Faster's turn.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook