SailNet Community - View Single Post - Make do with wrong boat
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Make do with wrong boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Burton View Post
I found a 1981 C&C 40. This is a boat that suits my style of sailing (see Cruising Criteria: How to Pick the Best Cruiser | Sail Magazine for my take on the selection process), which is biased toward performance as I expect I will be moving around a lot the first few years as I explore my neighborhood. I know she is capable offshore as I've sailed one back and forth to the islands and my old boss got caught out between Newport and Bermuda in a good storm that had him feeling "becalmed at 30". He later sailed to the Med and back. Not that she is by any means the ideal offshore boat for everyone, of course.

I got a good survey which found the hull to be dry and sound and the deck to have seven small areas of moisture, which will get fixed next year. I need to give the rig a good going-over, but everything seems sound there. I want to install a windlass and refrigeration. But overall, this ex raceboat has NOT been rode hard and put away wet; the woodwork below is nicer than when it came from the factory and the upholstery and stove are new. As is the canvas on deck. I'll go through the engine compartment and replace the hoses, impeller, zincs, and filters so I have a baseline from which to start maintenance logs. There will be lots of days when the weather isn't great fro pleasure sailing so I can still enjoy the boat by puttering around messing with stuff and getting to know her better.

Below she is very comfortable for the two of us and she has a nice big nav table so I can work while we're anchored somewhere.

The bottom line is that I'm already having fun with her and I won't even get to sail her for the first time for another 55 days and a little under 17 hours. I may never take her offshore...but I could. That's a nice feeling.

I paid less than $50K for her.
Sounds like you got a good deal on her. I have noticed you are a frequent poster on the owners forum. We have one of the little brothers the 35MKIII

Bought her 15 years ago and have always been happy with the combo of racer / cruiser. Even though they can get overpowerd quickly once you learn the sail combo on them to keep them on theor feet, the C&Cs sail very nicely. We bulked our up with 120 galllons of water ( 3 sperate closeable compartments and an aux fuel tank as the tankage on them is small.

Solid boats, stiff, just have to watch the cored decks which you did and the leaky windows.

David...hard to use the work settling when you are talking about a 40 Catalina. Lots pf gopod advice here about new vs old and old vs new.

I am from the old school. Find a boat you like , manufacturer size...look for the best one or wait and refit her. You wont be racing her so the speed improvments of the new designs wont enter the equation, besides many of the older boats like the C&C40, Irwin 38 ( Chuckles) and ours( although to light for me to permantly cruise her) still are quick compared to todays dsigns. Solid hull, new accessories, money to keep going with more upgrades...good combination

Many of my friends who have bought new boats 5-10 years ago are now faced with equipment getting older, more modern electroinics, etc. There hulls are solid too, but they dont have money now to update and upgrade.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook