SailNet Community - View Single Post - Make do with wrong boat
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Make do with wrong boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Burton View Post
Dave, I started out looking for a 35 mk1 and then at Mk IIs, I didn't even look at a 35 Mk III because they all seemed pretty pricey. Fantastic boats, though. There's nothing about the Mk III I don't like (or any of the 35s). From the way they look, to the way they sail, to the layout, Your boat is nigh on a perfect cruiser/racer solution for her size. I think you've got a great boat!
I got very lucky with Peregrine, she wasn't even listed, but was owned by a friend of a friend who was willing to let her go to a good home (you know how we get emotionally involved with our boats) and my wife and I seemed like the right people. Hence the very reasonable price. The PO and I are becoming friends and he's made it clear that if I take him sailing, he'll bring plenty of beer.
Yeah the 35's were their frist real go to racing boat with the rules of the time. There are racing fleets of them on the Great Lakes, kind of like the J Class boats of today. A number of us kind of keep a close e mail touch with each other like JAaronson. As the perfected them they moved through the Redwing, MKI, II and III. For their size still hold there own against similar size modern boats. Sounds like you lucked out and go a gem

We come up to the LI Sound every summer from the Chessie for 3 weeks ( total trip) and were a few weeks early for last years Rondevous at Mystic. I would have love to come. There arent as many C&Cs on the Chessie although I may try with Joel to restart the C&C Club down here. This year our itinerary looks like Block, Montauk. Greenport, Gardeniers Bay and then Stonington, Fishers, Mattitck, Port Jefferson.

Next year we will do Newport, Bristol, Cuttyhunk, MV as we were up there a few years ago. Haleakula was actually built in Bristol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook