SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndamato View Post
Did the previous owner keep the maintenance up?
I thought he did. What I've learned since is a bit different. The boat seemed to have been used mostly in the bay for races and although it wasn't stripped, it wasn't ideal for cruising either. There was a roller furler but it had not been used as such in awhile and the drum was useless. Electronics were way old, the vhf must have been original and didn't work. The VHF is actually pretty cool looking though, about the size of a small ice chest. The stove was brand new when I bought it but not hooked up, etc. (I guess the racing rules stated that the boat must have a stove, headliner, very small anchor, can't use furler, etc.)

Anyway, I've had the mast out & repainted, lines run internal, new standing rigging, all new electronics etc. No problems with the head though (knock knock) The bright work looked great and I've been trying to keep it up but after the first time I varnished, I removed the masking and it pulled up the "new" deck paint the previous owner had applied. A very poor job after looking further into it. Something I'll have to re-do. Same with the topside paint. I'm sure this sounds like a typical older boat owner at this point though huh?

Oh, well. B.O.A.T. Right?

Gerry

Last edited by GMFL; 02-28-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook