SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

David, I think you just described my last days alive! When I get really old, given the fact that I have no wife and kids, why not just buy a simple boat, provision her, point the bow west and see how far I can get before I croak? I mean, what's the alternative? Die in a hospital bed, cared for by indifferent strangers making $9 an hour to occasionally clean you up???

Anyhow, not quite ready for that YET.

Gerry: Paint can be a tricky thing. I guess people find out, after a time, it's not like painting a room or a house. If someone just buys some paint and rolls it on the gelcoat, even if it's good paint and the gelcoat is cleaned first, it will not hold up against the UV coming from the sky and the water. Years ago I found a highly detailed procedure to do a long-term paintjob on a boat, and I used it to do my cabintop after I replaced my four big plastic windows with bronze opening ports. The process required special, expensive expoxy paint and primer, any MANY coats, with sanding and acetone between coats. It took a long, long time and several weeks, but the results were spectacular and held up beautifully. The big picture is to get the primer coats to truly bond with the gelcoat - the gelcoat has to be roughed up with sanding first (you basically destroy it before you cover it).

I guess there is something to say about cruising in a racing hull, but I believe it takes more hands to do it safely and more care has to be taken in heavy seas and winds.

Best,

Glenn
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook