SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rudder lost at sea and rescue
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Rudder lost at sea and rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Pretty sad story. The first rudder hit a submerged object. It was "repaired" with poor workmanship and poor welding. It failed pretty quickly but like the first time they made it to shore for repairs.. They then had the rudder re-built a second time and again a sad case of sloppy workmanship clearly caused the rudder to fall off completely...

I doubt we'll ever know much about the rudder repairs as Jim seems like a pretty hands off guy and very trusting of the yard monkeys.. In this case the term MONKEY'S might be a compliment to the schmucks who screwed him over...... Very sad story, but at least they are safe...
I'm not really a big fan of arm chair quarterbacking other peoples misfortunes (schadenfreude) so I posted this more as a cautionary tale of what can happen.
I think that MS makes a good point that the owner was a "hands off guy" and relied entirely too much on various boat yards to fix this recurring problem.
This unfortunate event also highlights the need for having a backup plan for steering as others have noted.
I am almost surprised that no one has made the arm chair comment: "Why did they not scuttle the boat?" as was done on the csbb forum. I am now thinking that there is, or will be, a fairly nice boat missing only a rudder that will be available to salvage.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook