SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rudder lost at sea and rescue
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Rudder lost at sea and rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
That's a great story Caleb. One of the main points of vulnerability on any boat seems to be the rudder..
Perhaps another argument for the full keeled boat and/or the skeg-hung rudder? My rudder could be damaged if it were deflected to the side (as in a poorly balanced boat under sail) and the object was submerged and to the side of the rudder, but with a full keel I don't think the object could as easily damage my rudder as it could a fin-keeler.

Also perhaps another argument for a devided rig. I've used my backwinded mizzen sail to turn the boat 180 deg before when our engine was disabled and there was no forward boat speed due to the true wind being only 0.5kt. I imagine a ketch or yawl would be much easier to try and sail without a rudder than a sloop.

If not an argument for a full keeled ketch, it definitely is one for a self steering that also doubles as a rudder or a dedicated emergency rudder (required by most ocean races).

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook