SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road
There aren't any tangible reasons to "cruise" or "voyage"

There are myriad tangible reasons not to.

Other than maybe a photo album, and some real teak holly and mahogany I have no tangible benefits from all the time I spend on boats. And I guess the wood would be better off in a house.

It's all internal. And as such lacking intrinsic value.

As a society we assign worth more on a basis of intrinsic rather than sentimental value. We also have assigned life periods during which there is an expectation of which type of value we are expected to pursue- and as such which has more worth. During childhood we are pursuing (other than formal education, which is a tangent I will spare you) primarily items or experiences of sentimental value. As we move into adolescence and then young adulthood there is the expectation that we leave behind childish things and pursue items and experience of intrinsic value- which can parlayed into experience with sentimental value. Ie a two week charter or a week in (fill in the blank destination)

And then there is an expectation (and its new, call it 70 years old +\-) that when we hit 65 or so, we will be free of the need to pursue wealth, etc (intrinsic value) and we will bask in the glory of our golden years pursuing experience and items of sentimental value.

Our society has relegated experience that has no "tangible" or intrinsic value to the realm of children and elderly. Oh- and two weeks vacation time per annum

How do you assign value? What to you has or holds real worth?

"You need to grow up. There'll be time to cruise when you retire"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to c. breeze For This Useful Post:
Sal Paradise (06-19-2013)