View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Rudder lost at sea and rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Dave,
To be clear I DO NOT FAULT JIM FOR BEING HANDS OFF. Many owners are.
I am not sure where you beleive I said you faulted Jim for being hands off. You clearly didnt. In fact I agreed with you 100%. So whats the issue here. I was paying you a compliment.

Heres what I wrote;
Quote:
Agree about not watching the work done by the yard may have contributed to their problems, but what good would watching do if you didnt really know what to look for. Many if us are at the mercy of marine contractors who know more about boat issues than we do.
Quote:
Posters like Maine Sail, Jon Eisenberg,Capt Aaron, Fstbttms, I forget the rigger, are the true marine professionals who post here. We all look at their posts as probably the expertise opinions and put great stock in their views on those issues which they are experts in. I know I do, So then when I use a yard professional hopefully I have been educated by them what to look out for and I value their posts. I like others appreciate Maine Sails how to videos and have looked at all of them, and followed some religiously on my own boat. Because of his videos I have done a few electrical projects I may have let a yard professional do otherwise

Quote:
Mainesail said the guy relied entirely too much on the various yards for repairs. That appears to be true. I ask you in your situations, like me who have jobs other than in the marine industry, who cant spend the time repairing your own boats or dont have the expertise, we all rely at some time on these yards for their expertise.
What I wrote is how I feel. I dont have the expertise. I dont have the experience in repairs and I think most are like me. Because you do have the expertise you dont think like me. I was expressing that many of us are at the mercy of these " yard monkeys" as you refer to them. Even if I watched them 100% of the time while they did repairs ( which I cant as I have another job) I might not be able to catch substandard work or improper techniques. many of us are at the mercy of these marine maintainence yards and technitions. Sailnet helps as we frequently get recommendations from you as well as others on reputable people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook