SailNet Community - View Single Post - downwind sail for PSC31
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013

MarcHall is on a distinguished road
Re: downwind sail for PSC31

Quote:
Originally Posted by steneck View Post
I have a question for those of you who are long-term cruisers,

Is the space the asymmetric takes when not deployed, worth taking it on a long cruise?

I'm going to spend 8 months next year in the eastern Caribbean. Right now, my asymmetric takes perhaps 1/5 of my quarter berth. I'm not sure it'll be worth the space.

Your thoughts?

Bob
34' PSC Alaria
Christmas Cove, Maine
I could be wrong but that choice might actually be between the asymmetric and 2 or 3 jerry jugs of diesel - similar space but the asymmetric will be lighter. Also is the asymmetric the only nylon sail you have, perhaps you have a drifter which you might use at times in place of the asymmetric.

I spent 2 years cruising Pacific Mexico and found the asymmetric very useful.
Next trip I will be cutting down on a lot of the stuff I took with me - boat came home with a lot of the canned food it went south with, a 5 gallon paint can full of stainless fittings, lbs of spares, 4 scuba tanks and a compressor (which will become 2 scuba tanks and a compressor) and 6 jerry jugs of fuel. The fuel jugs were frequently empty but still took up space.

So much of that is going to be cut back. In its place will likely be 2 or 3 or 4 nylon sails - asymmetric, some sort of code 0 type sail, a drifter and maybe a symmetric spinnaker. The first 3 will all be flow from one of the newer roller furriers - Karver, facnor, collegio, profurl or ???. If I had to pick only 1 it would likely be the asymmetric (or maybe the drifter). Sailing conditions in Pacific Mexico frequently consist of light winds.

I am also looking for an alternatives to burning gasoline in my outboard, but I am an avid free diver/scuba diver so there will be keeping my current 15HP 2 stroke and 11.5 foot Achilles inflatable.

So its about making choices and what choices work for you.

I have not had any experience in the eastern Caribbean, but had friends on a Crealock 34, who started in San Diego, spent a few years making the trip down to Panama and then a few years in the eastern Caribbean before heading to Florida and ultimately moving off the boat. After their first season in the eastern Caribbean they had a main built the size of a double reefed main and left the original main off the boat. They were tired of always putting the reefs. After that season the old main went back on the boat as they got used to the conditions.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish, Crealock 37, Hull 207
San Diego
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook