SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Freakin' Sails
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Smack, Iím really sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved Smacktanic. If there is any consolation, without breast cleats on the dock or mid-ship cleats on your boat, there was nothing that really could be done for your boat (or everybody elseís for that matter) in those tight slips and exposure. I hope your liability insurance will cover the claims from the Marina and the governing entity of Canyon Lake. If it is any consolation, you are welcome on-board Freya anytime if your travels ever take you to the San Francisco Bay area. (The Americaís Cup 72ís are a sight to behold even on practice days.) And, lilí Freya will be down in Mexico/SOC in 2016 (just saying).
Thanks George. That means a lot coming from you. After seeing the destruction down there I was pretty comfortable that there was very little that could have been done differently prior to the windstorm (which was WAY more violent than had been predicted). But - there's always that nagging feeling.

My guess for why we went to the bottom when some of the other Catalinas didn't is the outboard well. With the angle of the wind, those waves would have been slamming almost directly into her stern. And since she was pinned in the slip the force and volume of the water would have been huge. So my guess is that the water pushed up through the opening in the transom, up through the lazarette, and into the cockpit filling it and leaking down into the cabin. Then, with the water pouring in at the bow from the shorn-off stem it just got worse and worse as the boat hobby-horsed - heavy both forward and aft. Again - just a guess.

Anyway I really appreciate yours and everyone else's invites to sail. It's pretty damn cool knowing people have your back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook