SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013

hillenme is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. breeze View Post

"You need to grow up. There'll be time to cruise when you retire"
Reminds of this.

I'm in my twenties and have every intention of trying to do some cruising at this time in my life. I am a Finance Manager at a mid-size company, and have done quite well at it. I've noticed people in my line of work especially (accounting/finanace) feel compelled to work themselves to death 70 hours a week with the hope that there is reward of retiring comfortably at 65 and then enjoying all the hobbies and experiences you dream about now.

Yes, I'm young, so is my girlfreind - 31 years old. She is also just finishing up chemotherapy for Breast Cancer and then radation. Before her diagnoses we had planned to pick-up and spend 6 months - a year living aboard in the Carribbean. We cannot possibly do it as soon as we'd like now, but hopefully 2014. In the meantime we have our 35 footer on Lake Michigan.

We have both recieved a harsh life lesson that we aren't gauranteed a long and healthful life. I have 65 y/o relatives with Parkinsons, cancer, crippled joints, etc... I feel like if I want to do this I should do it soon, because who's to say I'll get a chance to do it in 35 years? Should I turn 65 and find myself still limber and in good health with a comfortable nest egg, and a world to explore that hasn't been destroyed by war, global economic collapse, enviormental destruction or just made irrelevant by the digital world - well, then I'll just consider it bonus time that I get to have an adventure with again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook