SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI chart/nav app
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013

Robes is on a distinguished road
Re: BVI chart/nav app

Hi Everyone-

So, I have my new Oregon loaded with the most up to date SE Caribbean BlueChart g2 HXUS030R (from Landfall). I will make my preliminary route on my home computer using HomePort and download that to the Oregon.

I have the new iPad, with GPS, and plan to download the BlueChart Mobile App and Active Captain.

I don't want to buy the Garmin Wi-Fi Adaptor kit (Don't think it would work with the Oregon anyhow). Therefore, it is my understanding that I will not be able to use my g2 HXUS030R micr SD chip in any way to get those maps into the iPad & that I will have to buy the Garmin North American BlueChart map (not U.S. Coastal because it doesn't include Caribbean) through the app "settings" once downloaded. Is this correct?

I don't know if the North American iPad BlueChart is as detailed in the Caribbean as the HXUS030R chip (I assume not) but when I talked with Garmin reps they told me the HXUS030R was the only detailed coverage (more detailed then preloaded or other BlueChart sd cards that included the Caribbean) to include the Virgins, Leewards etc. At the time when I talked to Garmin we never talked iPad.

My intention is to use the iPad in the cabin for the crew to follow and for that reason don't need more detail there. Yet, I guess I could (using the more inaccurate method of touch screen selection) roughly chart the same route on the iPad so people know where we are traveling. And, to be sure and turn off any roaming settings.

TIA
Robes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook