SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Thanks David. I noticed I became a "member" pretty quickly, after three weeks or so.

That's an interesting idea with the technical diving/cave diving your way to death, as an alternative to the slow, drawn-out but still ever popular nursing home method. But consider, you can only dive a tiny fraction of the time! Therefore, it's likely you may experience a health problem hours or days after a dive, and be taken away to a hospital . . . and then there you are, in bedpan land.

My paternal grandfather was almost completely paralyzed by a sudden stroke but his mind was sound, so he had to simply vegitate flat on his back, essentially a quadraplegic, until his bodily systems gave out. My fraternal grandfather was partially paralyzed by a sudden stroke but most of his brain was destroyed. He could recognize people but not talk, and most of the time he seemed in a state of panic because he had no idea who he was or where he was. This lasted for four years.

By comparison, having my stroke or heart attack alone on a small boat at sea seems like a great deal. No paramedics, no bedpans. The one downside is you don't want to end up like Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan, starved and dehydrated on an island, eaten alive by big coconut crabs.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook