SailNet Community - View Single Post - Left handed or right handed max prop
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Left handed or right handed max prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I would never start the motor on the hard, but it is done. I think Med was only suggesting a tweak on the starter with the transmission in gear to see which way the prop turns. If you literally hit it for a split second, an observer should see which way it starts to turn. However, I would be a bit concerned about the starter turning the transmission. I guess we've all done it accidentally in the water, but it's probably not good for the starter or transmission. Just a gut.

Sounded like PYI gave the decoder to checking it anyway.
Exactly. Step two, having the stop lever pulled out (and giving it no throttle) will keep the engine from starting. You only need 1/2 a turn of the prop to answer your question.

Electric motors (starters) are very robust. The higher amperage draw from the extra force required to turn the prop might heat up the windings if you cranked it for 30 seconds or more, but I was talking about 3 seconds or less. You're not going to break anything doing that.

I watched a boat broker crank on the starter while in gear and actually start the engine on another Formosa 41 while it was in gear. He was wondering why it was suddenly pulling on his dock-line so hard. No harm done to the starter.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook