SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Rudder lost at sea and rescue

16K views 81 replies 27 participants last post by  deniseO30 
#1 ·
Stumbled on this story at the csbb forum: Viewfinder

Much less harrowing than Doug Sabbag's tale.

#68 · (Edited)
I have skimmed the thread.

ISAF offshore rules require an emergency rudder. Install gudgeons on the transom and have a rudder with pintles to match stowed on board.

The spin pole rudder will work. Some friends in the 2000 Vic Maui sailed 600 miles on one. I brought the boat back with a rebuilt stainless rudder.

#73 ·
I have a Norvane steering unit which claims to be usable as an emergency rudder. The rudder blade looks too small to provide much purchase. It can't have more than a couple of square feet of surface area. Will have to experiment with it some day. I like the idea of a simple bottom-weighted drogue door, much like a trawl door. If you could get one of those set well, it would surely drag the stern around and still allow some decent forward motion. It would also work in almost any condition. One with switchable weights would be useful for either tack. There must be a good design for one somewhere.

#77 ·
Has anyone seen something like this, designed for a sailboat? There are a number of variables that would need to be calculated but a unit like this would be easily stowed and could be used if all else failed. Boat speed would be considerably reduced but by adjusting the angle of attack, could be regulated.

Attachments

#80 ·
Hmmm, I suppose I could make a smartass remark about his switch to a brand where the KEEL might be more apt to fall off instead of the rudder... but I won't... (grin)

Just curious, any idea whether his insurance company has already paid out? On a boat that is very likely still afloat and intact, and probably making her way slowly towards the Caribbean?

If so, that's damn good service, I have many neighbors whose homes were destroyed in Sandy, who are still waiting for settlements from their insurers...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.