SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Thanks, Lostsheep! Please consider writing a short review on Amazon. With a first book, those good reviews really help a lot!

Joyce also taught me a lot about sailing and planning - I did not emphasize that in the book - there's lots of detail I could have included, but it was already very long for a memoir by someone who is not famous and did not have access to famous people or historic events (96,000 words) so I did not want to keep adding to it. Plus, we don't know how the trip would have turned out without Joyce. I could have ended up with a crew of three or four who were far worse . . . guys who just jumped ship for a better vessel. Joyce could have caught a Grayhound to San Diego at any point and crewed a MUCH better vessel, and dry too!

When I bought the boat in July 2001 it was my plan to live aboard, both to save time and money. But in the Bay area at that time, the only marina I could find with an available slip and a live aboard waiting list was Loch Lomond, a two-hour drive from my apartment (one way!). The waiting list was reported to be two years long, but in reality, the wait could have been a lot longer. The drive to and from the boat was killing me - even though it was about 40 miles as the crow flies, there was no way to get there other than a straight shot through the city. Horrible.

By February 2003 I found a slip just one exit from my job in Redwood City, AND the marina was owned by a property management company that also ran the apartment complex built around the marina (Bair Island Marina). It was all brand new! And the rent was $800 less for a better apartment than I was renting in Sunnyvale, so it was a no brainer. My boat was now a five minute walk from my front door. This was like living aboard, only sleeping in a real bed, with a real kitchen, etc.

I believe more marina have been built in the Redwood City area and they are more lienient with having livaboards than in the past - not sure.

Cheers,

Glenn
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook